Sunday, February 24, 2013

something you should know

Click here for the story of how they removed the Winged Victory of Samothrace

In my early 20's, I spent two summers in a row in another country. First, Mexico. Then, Spain. When I returned home from spain, I had no motivation to go abroad again. I liked my car. I liked Walmart. I liked being able to put my clothes in the dryer. And, at the same time, I could barely think about Spain because the memories were so beautiful. I was grateful I'd written things down because it hurt to remember and know I could never have that experience again. My best friend and I had both applied without telling each other. We had no idea.

When we were both accepted, we were roommates. We lived with a lady named Oslidia by the stadium de toros.

The other day, I walked into a room—and something smelled like that apartment. We'd open the door to the balcony in the mornings so the breeze would cool off the room. Anyways, mornings in Madrid haunted me all day. The churros with chocolate. Trying to go shopping during siesta. Wearing a striped shirt with a flowered skirt. The wandering in streets.

So now, I want to go to Europe again. Watching The Rape of Europa isn't helping. It's a documentary about how the art was saved during WWII. It's amazing. Put it on your list of things to view. My roommate just yelled that we have to forgive the Nazi thieves. She said we have to be Christlike and forgive. But, people: we do not want to forgive. So many beautiful things lost forever.

So, thank you to the American pilots who successfully bombed the florence rail yard without hurting the city or it's art.

1 comment:

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.