- You forgot your bus pass, and the bus driver humiliated you in front of 15 other adults.
- You had to walk home because you forgot your bus pass.
- You had to walk home + it was extremely hot outside.
I'm writing a (sad) (sad) (but very awesome) essay about this topic, then I'm going to make a broadside. If I use your reason, then you get a broadside.
So...what are acceptable reasons for crying in public? do you have a story?
POST EDIT: The following were submitted by "anonymous". Because "anonymous" sent 20 reasons, I thought I'd put them in the post. I couldn't help myself.
1. got reprimanded by a boss (cried behind a tree)
2. got reprimanded by a boss (cried near a dumpster)
3. thought i'd never see my true love again (cried at LAX)
4. felt too hungry to go on (waiting outside a tea shop with one of those buzzers that just wouldn't buzz)
5. heard i owed the car repairman $500 more than i thought i would owe (at a coffee shop)
6. had to say goodbye to someone i loved for good, seriously (at a dive restaurant on Center Street)
7. a girl made a cruel comment to me in front of my friends (near special collections after a reading)
8. during movies in theaters (numerous occasions, usually no one notices)
9. at church (numerous occasions, usually no one notices)
10. confessing to friends that i thought my life was a mess (one world cafe)
11. confessing to friends that i thought my life was a mess (at my birthday lunch-- the waitress tried to smooth things over by bringing us extra scoops of fancy honey lavender gelato)
12. in the classroom, just because it was overwhelming (numerous)
13. on a hike when i refused to participate in free form climbing over a river (not technically public, but there were a dozen witnesses)
14. with my head down in a fancy restaurant (during a meal meant to celebrate my college graduation. i'm sure that this list is making it very clear that eating or not eating can overwhelm me).
15. walking home from school in the snow
16. after my last moments with a man i shouldn't have rejected (i sat on a nearby hill and actually believed, for a moment, that he might come after me)
17. after falling on black ice in the stupid cold stupid winter
18. after being knocked over by a rude bicyclist near a bus stop
19. during musical performances of great beauty (numerous)
20. while reading something stunning (numerous)
That's just a start.
I'm very proud of myself for the occasions when I remember to pack toilet paper and/or a handkerchief because I just know a cry could be coming on. Also, one might think I would invest in some waterproof mascara. Nope. Proud to say I have not yet cried today.
AND A POST SCRIPT FROM ANOTHER ANONYMOUS: which include here only because it is lovely.
p.s. to answer your survey question: if it doesn't place you in physical danger, or if you're not in front of someone you'll later really regret crying in front of, anytime you need to cry in public is ok in my book. though finding a semi-secluded place to cry makes it less awkward for the people around you who don't know why you're crying. acceptable reason to cry, anywhere: because you need to cry.