Sunday, March 25, 2012

My brother: the one with the glasses & gigantic smile.


It's my little brother's birthday. He's 21. Growing up, he didn't talk very much. I don't think he started talking until he was 3 or 4. And then, he just didn't talk in high school. (He was in the chrysalis of adolescence where talking requires too much effort.)

For the past year and a half, I've had the privilege of reading his mission letters.
His letter is always the highlight of my Monday.

For the first six months, I was always very impressed because he talked about food in the most riveting way. (I was also very concerned that he was starving.) And then, the way he wrote about food changed into the way he wrote about his experiences—entire letters like poems.

I feel so lucky to be his sister. We get to be friends every day even though he is very very very far away. And some days, when I get very discouraged about what I am doing with my life, I remember what he said just after he got to Argentina:
"God is extravagant, just look out of the window [...] You may not know it, but beauty and simplicity heals the soul, and so you will be helping people."
Happy Birthday Nate! I'm so happy you were born! My wish for you this year: good professors at BYU :)

2 comments:

  1. I loved writing letters with my brother while we were on our missions at the same time. There is something special about letter writing, I'm glad you and your brother get a time for it.

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.