Friday, February 17, 2012

something i don't know how to articulate

 yesterday, or the day before, my best friend's brother was killed in a bicycling accident. He got hit by a car.  He was so young. And his widow is so young. I don't even know how long they were married, but not very long. I don't know all the details yet. But, he was an organ donor.
***
yesterday, or the day before, a girl whose sister I knew in jr. high (who died of cystic fibrosis), and whose family is good friends with my family (I taught her son swimming lessons last summer), received a new pair of lungs & a heart. We've all been following the email updates and the facebook updates. They've sewn in the lungs. They're watching the heart before they close her up. She's resting in ICU.

Her transplant is such a miracle. I don't even think that is a word that actually matches what happened. I mean, DOCTORS TOOK OUT HER LUNGS AND HER HEART AND GAVE HER NEW ONES!!!! it's a amazing. And now she can breathe! SHE CAN BREATHE!
***
I have no word for what my best friend's family is working through now. Grief doesn't seem sufficient. Her brother's death isn't fair on every single level.
***
Sometimes, we talk about organ donation in terms of that's a really nice thing to do. But when you know someone, and you know how every day you'll wake up and be grateful—you think of it differently. And in this case, the you = a whole community of people who love and adore this woman.
***
I'm just grateful we can pray for each other & love each other. And that people like my friend's brother are willing to donate their organs so that in the case of their death, there could be an extra measure of gratitude and love felt every day somewhere in the world with people they never knew.

4 comments:

  1. I love that last paragraph. Such a way to bring joy out of a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Bryn, from Shirl's family. I found your blog through Ina and Lori. I love it!
    Were his lungs the ones used for Sharlie? We know Sharlie from the CF world. My 6 yr old son has Cystic Fibrosis (and Pervasive Development Disorder and Anxiety and learning disabilities). We have been cheering her on through FB during this time. We are super grateful for donors. I have to think that someday, that might be my little guy there. It is really touching. Our friends' daughter had a transplant 10 yrs ago and is still doing well. So sorry to hear about your friend's brother, grateful for the opportunity for new life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, they weren't his lungs. But it was so close in terms of time, that I couldn't help but think that it could have been. And then what would that mean? Anyways, his organs are helping someone's best friend/sister/dad/mom. It's just really really cool.

    So good to meet you! I hope you'll stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful thought. I just registered to be a donor--I've been meaning to for awhile. Here is the link I used: http://organdonor.gov/index.html.

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.