Monday, July 11, 2011

she hikes in a skirt

She occasionally fights fires in mountainous/forest areas. She knows how to use a chainsaw, and she does very cool stuff with epidemiology.  

In February, she broke her leg in a skiing accident--she needed surgery to repair the bone. Her sister called her that weekend and said the permits for Havasupai Falls had just opened up. She told her sister to get six permits for July.

She'd wanted to go for forever, a little bone surgery wasn't going to stop her.

She asked me if I wanted to go. Which is hilarious because it requires a ten mile hike into the campgrounds. The kind of hike where you carry all of your belongings on your back. You can take a helicopter in, but she's not that kind of girl. I was so excited! No one had ever asked me to go backpacking before! I'm not the kind of girl who goes on super long hikes! She said she thought I could do it.

For some very strange reason, I believed her.

3 comments:

  1. Amen to that. For so many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, hiking in a skirt is hardcore. She is such a great example/role model for us all.

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.