Tuesday, June 14, 2011

This year.

There was a $20 dollar entry fee, and because I was barely done with the draft, I had to send it in a day before the deadline: at a cost of at least $20 (I have the receipt somewhere). Sometimes submitting stuff is the hardest part of writing. It's so annoying! The trek to the post office! The forms! The cost of postage! I kept telling myself: This is just the cost of doing business. This is just part of your overhead. You are never sending anything in the day before the deadline again. But, this is practice--you have to start somewhere. You're just practicing. If you don't send this in--you'll never do it.

When I thought about what the judge must have thought looking at the photos of my piece, I laughed. They were funny, off-centered, one was slightly blurry. I was also a bit sad because the piece is better in real life (when you can hold it and read the text). But, I sent my pomegranate poem/book into a contest anyway. The prize: exhibition + purchase into the university's permanent collection.

Last Friday I received an email informing me the judge had selected my pomegranate book (among about 30 others) for exhibition and purchase!!!

I know you're probably bored of this story already, but the point is, I almost didn't send it in! I didn't have time! I barely got it there by the deadline! I almost said, Next year! I really wanted to say, Next year! because I've been permanently scarred by last minute, stressed-out MFA/PhD application mailings at the post office.

I will never say that again.


11 comments:

  1. Yay! Way to do it-- how rewarding! Congrats, Em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, that is so amazing! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH GOSH!!! THAT IS SO EXCITING!! CONGRATS GIRL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're an inspiration! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you, Emily. And I am so glad you turned it in. It's so easy to just say, Next time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Emilia! How could they NOT accept your work!?!?! Of course they would choose you. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course ems. You put love into all that you do. Of course they loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, Em! I'm so happy for you! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl, that is one popular book!! Congrats!! :)

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.