Monday, May 30, 2011

a tradition

My aunt has seven children. They are all grown up. They all have their own children. But, every other Memorial Day, they visit all our family grave sites in the Salt Lake Valley. Except they eat the ancestor's favorite treat. Corn on the Cob at grandma Poloma's. Lemon Drop's at Ina Jane's & bags of caramel popcorn for her husband.  Orange sticks at my grandma's and regular popcorn for grandpa. When they get to Edna's, they read a letter. She is my great-step-grandma. She married my grandpa after his first wife died. They were friends when they were very little. She never married because her face was disfigured. She was beautiful, but one day some thing happened to her face (I need to look it up). Some sort of skin issue. The doctors treated it with radiation. It just made it worse. A lot worse. I need to ask more about the story. I can't remember how they met again years and years later, but their love story is famous for its letters (which were buried with her when she died--I am very curious about this surviving letter). She never had any children, but I love her as my own great-grandma even though I never met her. I have her books downstairs. They are stamped with her name, and when she got married, she stamped them again with her new married name.

Anyways! The best part is that they end at the grandma house! It was such a fun party! I love my aunt Nancy. And all her people. It's such a relief to see them all.

3 comments:

  1. Queen of the double heartsMay 31, 2011 at 12:25 PM

    I LOVE this story. That's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is one of the most beautiful traditions i've ever heard of. absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edna sounds like someone I'd like to meet.

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.