Sunday, May 8, 2011

just one thing she did for me

When I was a sophomore in high school, my mom picked me up every day on the east side of school. I waited for her in the only shade I could find--which was this white cement bench by a white cement wall. While I waited, I thought about how I lived in the hottest place in the United States of America. I didn't know how I was going to survive. Anyways, my mom would pick me up and drive me to a school 20 minutes away for swim team. While she drove, I changed in the backseat of the van. Then I would climb over all the seats so that I could be in the front with her.

We had a good time. I don't actually remember what we talked about. Or if we just listened to the radio. But I really liked just sitting next to her for a few minutes. She'd drop me off, then come back and get me two hours later.

Picking me up, dropping me off--that cost her at least an hour of her life every day. Looking back, I don't even know how she had time. Somehow she squeezed it in.

Even if swim team had just been a purely fun thing to do--it would have probably been worth it for my mom. But, swim team continues to bring all sorts of good things into my life. In lots of different ways. The skills I learned mentally and emotionally--swimming back and forth for 2 hours--are part of the reason I have a brain that functions properly. I made great friends. I had a coach who changed my life.

Swimming is something I love, and it was able to shape my life in important ways because my mom took the time to spend an hour driving every day. It's kind of hard to say thank you for that kind of help.


!!HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MOM! I LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.