Sunday, May 15, 2011

high low

When I was in college, my roommates and I used to play hi-low over Sunday dinner. It was the best. We got to review the weeks funniest and most pathetic moments. Usually, by Sunday, we were prepared to laugh riotously about whatever happened. 


I feel like playing this game today.

Low:
About a month ago, I was driving home late on a Saturday night. I'd dropped off a friend at her graveyard shift. At a stoplight, I opened a text from a friend at church. She just wanted to let me know she'd been thinking about me all week, and praying for me. She asked me if I was okay.

I was totally okay. And happy. I wrote her back a big fat thank you because everything about that note was super great.

But then I started thinking about that gesture: My week had been super busy, but for some reason it had gone real smooth and just fine. In that car ride home, I just thought about the gorgeousness of love and prayer. I had no idea someone was praying for me--but I really did need those prayers that week. And, here I was: Saturday night. My hair was a huge mess, I wasn't wearing any make-up (I hadn't for days), and I was on my way to the grocery store because I was out of milk and beans. But! I'd gotten everything else done. Except my laundry. I cried for a while on the phone with my mom because that text message was so nice. Then I sat in the parking lot of the local grocery store and cried some more.

I mean. Sometimes you just need to cry about all the kindness in the world.

I thought I was fine when I walked into the store. The beans were on sale. So I put like twenty cans in my basket. Then I got to the milk department and picked up a half gallon. Then I went to register.

I was just there, waiting. With my 20 cans of beans and my milk. I was totally fine.

Until the check-out lady asked me about my day. It was really nice of her to ask, so I got really choked up. I couldn't talk for like a minute. Meanwhile, she and the bagger-dude just stared at me. Then I started crying really hard. I told her she was very nice.

I think she thought I was a battered woman.

The bagger-dude asked me if someone had been mean to me in the store. I tried to explain that I was just really touched by their kindness. I don't think they could hear what I was saying.

The check-out lady gave me hug. She told me if I needed anything--just call her.

I really love that lady.

High:
Hailes just got called to be relief society president of the new ward. If you know her, you know this is the best thing ever. She's saved my life this past year and a half.

She will continue blazing hailstorm trails of relief and love & I will do her dishes unlimited.

10 comments:

  1. Hey! In college we'd always ask what our favorite parts of the day were. Similiar to high-low, although I think we missed out on the funnest part. I love that the bagger-dude asked if someone was mean. And prayers and love and kindness just make me so happy. Remember all the people on the Mexican buses that crossed themselves every time we passed that drabby little church?


    I must play that game sometimes with my kids. Just the other day I sat up to eat dinner with Kate and Owen. Kyle was late at work. Kate took a big bite, looked at me, and said, "What was your favorite part of your day today mom?" It made me super happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em, I love how you not only stop and smell the roses...you stop to see and smell and experience the beauty that the world has to offer. I love that about you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought tears to my eyes. You are the sweetest. And I've felt similar things like this before, you wrote it out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is so beautiful. How lovely that everyone was so kind. It sounds like such a touching experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. La madre de la marenitaMay 15, 2011 at 10:47 PM

    I love that your high was so short...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am laughing so hard about the battered woman comment. Not because domestic violence is funny, AT ALL, just because they must have been so confused. I mean, you already had 20 cans of beans in your cart--that right there had to have been cause for confusion. Hilarious. Also, I think I will volunteer to be RS president if you will do all my dishes, deal? Hailes will be great at that calling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) I love that bean story. So much.

    2) You are way too nice to me. Thank you so much for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love how much you love. i just watched the new jane eyre (which happens to be one of my favorite books) and i love how much she loves too.

    what i'm trying to say is i hope i love my children as much as i love how much you both love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ancient mariner's granddaughterMay 18, 2011 at 3:50 PM

    I've had a similar crying experience--but you were the one who had been so kind to me and had told me you were praying for me and mine. Thanks for being able to be grateful for the nice lady at the grocery store. I love your guts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this. I love that Hailes is going to be pres. AND I love you. Let's play soon.

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.