Saturday, March 12, 2011

When students give me good news.

A few days ago, one of my former students sent me an email with this subject line: "I'm published!"

I love these emails.  They cause a different kind of butterfly in the heart-- I want to forward these kinds of emails to all of my students with a sentence in all caps that says "YOU CAN DO IT TOO!"*

Read her  piece here. It's charming and strange--

And another one here (about marriage and fear and love).

-----
*I did that tonight (as a post script to an assignment asking them to ONE: do something this week they'd never done before and TWO: write an essay about it.)

3 comments:

  1. I found your blog when mentioned on jcane (I believe?) and LOVE it. I especially new I had a kindred writer when you quoted Isak Dinesen.

    Anyway, thank you for posting about your students and literary journals. So happy to be introduced to Toasted Cheese! I teach writing (to 9th graders) which is different, but I still want to encourage to publish publish publish.

    That's all, just wanted to let you know an anonymous viewer likes your words:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your student's beautiful writings. I imagine your talent augmenting theirs to create these works. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.