Thursday, March 3, 2011

Valentine = Abandoned Houses

I grew up in a place of abandoned houses. They were always very romantic because they were very old and made of wood. Actually, maybe I grew up in a place of abandoned horse sheds. But there was a real live abandoned hotel just down the street. And a very old house on a hill where a very old man lived (until they moved the house somewhere else years ago).  We were always sneaking around his house and daring each other to run up to the wood porch.

Maybe this is why, right now, I can't resist the photographs in the Library of Congress.

3 comments:

  1. You know I love this. Way much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was an abandoned house that lived down the street from me when I was growing up. It was HUGE. We called it "The abandoned manor," and we played there all the time, just like in "MANDY" (Have you ever read that book?) Just as I graduated from high school they tore it down to make way for an even bigger house. Now I always look for abandoned houses- because they can be just right for magic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny. Just this week I found this site--http://ghostsofnorthdakota.wordpress.com/2004/05/01/heaton-nd/ (and this follow-up-- http://ghostsofnorthdakota.wordpress.com/2010/05/23/heaton-six-years-later/)--which has ambiguous but personal significance to me. I thought it was odd that people would go around documenting ghost towns, but there's definitely something intriguing about the phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.