Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I don't believe in body hatred

Even though I have days when I struggle with maintaining love for my body,  all my life i've known about the lie of body hate. I have no idea how except in the fifth & sixth grade when girls would say they were fat (as small talk) in our little circles at recess-- I never understood... they clearly were not fat.

Then, i grew up, and realized that some of my friends were constantly talking about food, or thinking about it. And you know why? because some parent said something dumb about their body repeatedly or even once! sometimes a dad, sometimes a mom. DO NOT DO THIS!!! PLEASE! If you're going to hate on your body, please! at least don't say it out loud in front of your children (even to your friends on the phone (your kids are listening!). And, for heaven's sake don't hate on their bodies. It's the worst.

C. Jane has a guest blogger discussing this topic here. Please read it. Please! I'm begging you. (with lots of exclamation marks)

Then read her post on eating disorders here.

If we're aware of the problem-- we can change the world. Or at least help little girls stop hating their bodies.

4 comments:

  1. You are AWESOME!!! I totally agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I grew up in a home that fostered insecurity in every area of life. I need to work harder to be that transitional character for my family now. No one deserves to feel badly about themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had an uncle that called his little girl a brat. She wasn't then, but she grew up to be one.

    Words are so insanely powerful. I'm with you here on this, 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom, who has always been TINY used to openly talk about her own body issues when I was a kid, which of course didn't help mine. I've never developed an eating disorder like bulimia or anything, but it's taken a long time to get to the point where I can feel comfortable in my own skin.

    All that to say, AMEN!

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.