Friday, March 4, 2011

Gelatin: A small story

Tonight, my plan was to come home after a million things-- and make gelatin mold prints. In order to do this, I needed a few things. Including gelatin and an ink brayer. I went to a special store and bought an ink brayer.  When I got home, I looked at the recipe and realized I needed water based ink... I remembered staring at the water-based inks at the store and thinking, "Oh yeah, I need that ink for a special kind of printing." But, then I just went to the register to check out. No biggie. I had the ink we use at the studio.

So, imagine my sadness when I realized I only had rubber based ink. It was fine though because I thought, I can make the gelatin tonight (I also didn't realize it takes 12 hours to set up), then tomorrow morning I can run back to that store, get the ink and come home and it only takes five minutes to dry! (after printing) (rubber based inks take days) (I don't have days) (so this is a bonus).

But when I went to the pantry to pull out the gelatin, I only found two boxes of unsweetened chocolate, and I remembered that last thanksgiving I was going to make chocolate pies for everyone I knew, and I was at the store and I only got the chocolate because I was positive I had gelatin already. Then I came home and realized I didn't have gelatin-- not even in the spice cupboard which still has bottles of active spice which may have been purchased 20 years ago. (I never made the pies because I didn't have time to go back to the store).

This all happened five minutes ago. And, now I will try to find a grocery store which is open all night. Because I'm not letting any of this story get in my way.

I'm making gelatin molds tonight. And I'm printing them in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. queen of the double heartsMarch 5, 2011 at 8:45 PM

    Oh Ems that is the worst. So sorry. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds pretty much like the night I had a couple of days ago when I had to make cupcakes for a church activity. I bought the cake mix and the frosting, got home and realized I didn't have liners. Ran and got them, only to discover I also didn't have oil.

    It was a long night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. karen!!! that's exactly how it was! ahh! but i made that gelatin even though i had to go to 3 stores because everything was closed. hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.