Friday, February 25, 2011

Curiouser & curiouser*


Tonight, at the studio, one of my friends showed me her project on Joseph Cornell. I love Joseph Cornell even though I've never seen one of his boxes in real life. Even though there's one in Chicago, and one time, I was in Chicago-- but I went to the wrong museum.

He'd never had his own children. He never married. Mainly because he was shy, but maybe because he spent a large portion of his life caring for his younger brother who had cerebral palsy. They lived in Queens, with their mom. He worked various jobs, but mostly he looked for things in the street and at dime stores. He collected all the curious things he could. And re-organized it all into these boxes.

But, tonight my friend told me a part of the story I'd never heard before: the last exhibition of his life was designed for children. The assemblages were put at child-height, and he made the gallery serve cookies and cherry coke.



*What Alice says to the white rabbit.

p.s. yesterday, my friend Noelle let me guest post on her blog. You can read it here

4 comments:

  1. I remember being introduced to Joseph Cornell in your class and walking around south of campus in the snow looking for interesting discarded objects as an assignment--now i think i should do that more often...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to get Nettie to guest post on my blog for years, but she never will. Maybe I'll start a once a month guest post, and I would LOVE to have you post! I would also LOVE to see you in real life sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not familiar with Joseph Cornell, but now I must know more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look.him.up. (he will change your life).

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.