Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A good dream

When I was little, I used to visit my grandparents' house two or three times a year. My grandma would greet us in the middle of the night on the cold porch. There was usually a large "Welcome" sign made by other cousins taped to the brick wall and a large chocolate frosted cake on the kitchen counter (for my dad).

Once inside her house, we were allowed to eat a bowl of Tricks before going to bed. (My normal-life cereal included only Cheerios and Wheaties--the midnight bowl was a double serious treat.)

In the mornings, my grandma made pancakes or French toast. She wore a half-apron in various checkered colors. A couple of these aprons still hang in the laundry closet. I found them one day while looking for a flashlight.

My grandpa sat in a chair by window. Whenever we passed the chair to go down to the basement (where all sorts of fun games and activities--mainly Super Mario Bros), he'd whistle to get our attention and make us come stand by him and hold his hand. He'd ask us various questions. No matter how old we were, he had a conversation with us. Hands were not to be put in pockets. Gum was not to be chewed. We always discussed how much he loved us. He'd ask if we knew it. We'd say: Yes, grandpa.

And so, last night I had a dream.

I was walking across a softball field with a friend. When we got to the bleachers, my grandpa was sitting there with someone I didn't recognize. My grandpa looked just the way he did the last time I saw him. I was so happy! I was so excited! My friend introduced us and I yelled out, "THIS IS MY GRANDPA!" And it felt good to say that sentence, the same way it feels when you're in a crowded room and you see someone you know. It feels just as good to yell out their name, as it does to see them.

And you know what my grandpa did? He held out his hand for me to hold. And then we proceeded to have a conversation which I can't remember. Except, I know we were just chatting it out about all my various projects. Very specifically we talked about school. Then he hugged me. Before I walked away (and woke up crying), he said: Work hard.

Happy New Year
.

4 comments:

  1. What a perfect dream. I am crying with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so beautiful. I love dreams that are actually so real. And so meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy story. I'm so glad you wrote it down. Also, a note about breakfast: I've tried to make eggs several mornings this week in honor of your mother, but they just don't turn out. Shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried.

    I dreamed once that my Granddad, who was never affectionate and who always bought me gum, came back to give me a message for my sister. He signed "I love you," in ASL (what my sister studied). It wasn't like him, but it was important for us to know now that he loved us then, and still loves us.

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.