Sunday, December 19, 2010

serendipity

I went to a concert on friday night. It was fantastic. I love a good belting it out of Christmas songs. Then, a good ways into the walk to TRAX, I realized I'd left my phone on my seat... so I told my friends to just go home, and I'd go retrieve it.

I fought my way back into the concert venue, and as I was walking through a ton of people, I heard this voice say my name. It wasn't yelled, I was actually surprised I'd even heard it, but I turned around and there was my good good good best friend Melissa from high school. She lived across the street from me, and she was Catholic (along with almost everyone in our town). We had two other best friends, Beca and Janae. We ate lunch together ever day: outside in the school courtyard--even when it was so hot we all thought we would melt. There was a tree, we sat in the shade.

(I was an implant actually, I'd moved--and she made sure I didn't sit by myself.)

Anyways!! There she was! The most unexpected surprise. I haven't seen her in ten years. Just heard stories and had a few phone conversations. She went to Notre Dame where she converted to Mormonism, and married the only other Mormon at the school! Their story is sort of famous, and they are perfect together! Anyways! We gave each other 2 or 3 joyous hugs and gave our updates in 1 or 2 sentences (what else can you do when you run into a long lost friend in the middle of 3 thousand people?).

Before she left, she said, "Did you know Janae is pregnant with twins!"

I haven't seen Janae in years and years either (even though we still chat every so often)-- but I was so happy to know and not go on with my life for any other seconds without knowing the gorgeous news.

Right now, I live in a place where a lot of people still know or hang out with their good friends from high school. Everyone is just here anyways--so it's easy. When I graduated-- I moved away forever. I left behind a lot of people I still love. It was before facebook, or before blogs. No one had cell phones. So back then it was easy to lose touch. But, it doesn't lessen any of my absolute adoration for them. And if you put us in a room together-- it would still be hilarious. We would still bring out each other's best parts.

I was so lucky to have them back then. They saved my life (from shyness, from loneliness, from sitting alone at lunch or church). Their friendship continues to shape my life. I still hear Beca's voice in my head telling me to just wear the bright yellow shoes. And I still think about her when I know I need to look around and see who needs someone to just sit by them.

Gosh. They are still such lovely parts of my life. Seeing Melissa was such a happy gift from God.





3 comments:

  1. I know Jodi! I still wish we'd gone to the same high school! Oh I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely one of those people for me. We could get together and things would be like we never were apart. Glad you got to see Melissa! What fun! I just heard Janae's news last week. There is nothing better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily!! I've never met anyone like you (in a good way!!!) of course we could still get together and just pick up where we left off. Love you forever!

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.