Thursday, December 30, 2010

Jane Austen's last novel.

A story I love because the heroine is not beautiful. She's normal. Just very gracious and smart. 

The film includes the necessary walks through green fields in long dresses. At night, the appropriate number of lighted chandelier candelabra. Gorgeous swooning music. The city of Bath. And natural light at all the most persuasive parts. (For example, begin here at 52 seconds)


I'd like to personally thank the girl who let me borrow it. It's the BBC version from 2007. If you know of any other good versions... let me know. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I love anything Jane Austin, so naturally I had to watch the whole thing. Thanks for the link. I love this version--except for the kiss scene. Good grief, man, she's gaping like a fish out water. Kiss her already! The music was amazing. Well, everything about this version (minus that kiss scene!) was amazing. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. There is not a better version. The older version (I think from 1995) cannot compare. Captain Wentworth is perfect in this (and if you want to see him in another movie, The 39 Steps is amazing). He's dashing and perfect and I just love him. And Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ancient mariner's granddaughterJanuary 1, 2011 at 1:41 PM

    I am so happy you have enjoyed one of my favorite movies. It is perfect--until the last scene--all that running and the cotton mouth kiss. I have to close my eyes and imagine a proper kiss. Captain Wentworth is one of my favorite actors. Hope you had a lovely Christmas holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this movie--though it does have the worst cinematic kiss of all time. Still, Captain Wentworth is so perfect, I got over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen that one, but I absolutely LOVE the 1995 BBC with Amanada Root and Ciaran Hinds. It's my favorite book too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh I just watched this with my roommate! So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I can't help but love anything Jane Austen..it's my guilty little secret :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The older version is more accurate but much less pretty. This is definitely my favorite Austen story.

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.