Thursday, November 25, 2010

thanks giving

This is the first year I didn't go home. It's the worst ever. I just talked to my parents on the phone. We discussed their dinner plans. And the weather. And the pies they will be making. I forgot to ask my dad if he will make a fire. Maybe it's too warm there. It's freezing freezing freezing here.

Thanksgiving is my secret favorite holiday. I love that the whole nation shuts down so we can all eat dinner together. It's so festive. I love that people travel miles and miles to get home just in time for the sweet potatoes with the marshmallows on top. And the turkey. The stuffing. The carrots with brown sugar. And the homemade chocolate pie (my aunt susan used to make).

This morning I texted my little sister. I asked her what she was doing because usually on Thanksgiving morning, we wake up in the same bedroom. Usually, we have to shut the blinds because the sun burns our eyes out. So I wake up to sun, and horses across the street. And a huge blue sky.

This morning I woke up in the Grandma house in the room with the blue and green wallpaper. There was sun shining through the window, but there were real life frost crystals spread all over the wide panes. I'd never seen that before. I felt so lucky to wake up at just the right moment.

In a minute, I'll drive to my Aunt's house and walk into a house full of festivities and festive people and good food. And, I'll be thinking of a certain table in a certain California house by the sea (sort of). And I'll be giving thanks that I got to grow up loving the people inside--

p.s. everyone should listen to this song

2 comments:

  1. ancient mariner's grand daughterDecember 3, 2010 at 12:47 AM

    I for one and thankful you didn't make it to the house by the sea. Thank you for making my Thanksgiving so delightful.

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.