Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Her Instruction #1: Go see Tissot



I thought: Watercolor. I can handle watercolor. They weren't even very big. I could have stolen 3 off the wall, slipped them in my folder, and walked out of the museum.

It was the middle of the day.

There were other people around.

124 paintings.

It all sounded sort of boring boring.

***
I didn't make it past Joseph leaning over his workbench... looking for Mary... worried because they're only betrothed...

For sure, I didn't make it past the shepherds worshipping the Christ child. You should see the folds in Mary's white robe. You should see the all the faces and the rooster.

Carrying a piece of wood for his father.
Changing water into wine.
Healing the Lepers at Capernaum.
Filling the fishermen's nets.

I couldn't help but have a good cry.

Tissot had the audacity to paint what Christ saw from the cross.
And his angels are sometimes blue (with flames on their foreheads).

***
Tissot used to paint fashionable women.
He meticulously detailed their fashions.
One day he was in a cathedral at mass and had a vision of Christ.
In the vision, a building had collapsed.
Christ, bloody & scourged, was comforting the survivors.
(He was sitting next to them.)

Tissot's collection took many years of intense study and travel.
When the paintings finally debuted--
They say the visitors cried.
Some of them crawled from painting to painting.
***



For more go here and BYU's Museum of Art

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the fantastic review. I'll have to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of him! His paintings look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ems, That is so insane. I felt driven to go look at the exhibit yesterday and would have written about my experience if it weren't for looking like I was a total copy-cat. Great minds think alike I guess! The thing that impressed me the most about Tissot was how unique each painting was. I went into the exhibit trying to look at the art without any expectations. As I looked at each one, I felt they were harsh and left me unsettled (especially the one with his his faceprint in blood on the cloth). I couldn't understand why I was feeling this way about James FREAKING Tissot! Then I took a step back and thought about where Tissot came from and his time period. I can't imagine what his life was like during the late 19th century in France. I realized that influenced his work so much. He was different from me, and Christ had touched his life in the personal way that he expresses in his art. That brought me to understand the miracle of the Atonement. It was applicable to Tissot in a

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE SAW THIS IN JUNE!!!! It was so amazing, while the twins were in bball camp Jerry and I were thoroughly amazed at this exhibition...it was so great, glad you thought so too.

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.