Tuesday, August 31, 2010

...branching out

tonight, figure8 asked me if i was eating a bean tortilla. we were talking on the phone, and i didn't realize she could tell i was chewing.

figure8 is in charge of making sure i don't die of malnutrition. she understands how distracted i get, and that i'm fully capable of surviving on beans, cheese, tortillas, and tapatillo sauce. she knows that i can make a bean tortilla work for any meal and sometimes i have to limit myself to one per day.

she also knows that several months ago... i stopped cooking altogether. i'd go to the grocery store and feel like i'd never learned how to read.

anyways, i was happy to report to her that i was eating bruschetta. bread, tomatoes, olive oil. she wasn't very impressed. i added an avocado and some black beans because she muttered something about protein.

but! i've been making things these days! i want to make things. i want to open cook books. i want to try new things. i ate salmon with avocado last week. i grilled eggplant! i marinated chicken! the other day i put sunflower seeds & black beans on my turkey sandwich. i have apples and oranges in a sack. and i've had oatmeal every morning this week.

i'm getting better.

5 comments:

  1. Balboa Paparazzi :DAugust 31, 2010 at 11:24 PM

    You know what is SO yummy?! Sunflower seed whole wheat bread. So good. So, so good. Mmmmm . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! You are great, E! It's fun to picture you in the grandma house eating yummy food! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's 3:55 am. I'm up feeding baby. And now, I'm also ravenous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! You've been branching out more than me. Remember how you made me want to try new recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me smile so big.

    ReplyDelete

the rules: comment moderation is enabled to protect the innocent.